Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day Two - John Chapter Two

John records two cool events in chapter two of his gospel; the wedding at Cana and Jesus clearing the temple. To me the two go hand in hand and show how Jesus , God, only wants the very best for us.

Lets look at the miracle Jesus performed at the wedding in Cana. If you're not familiar with the story, in short it goes like this: Jesus' mother, Mary, is helping out with a wedding. She finds out they have run out of wine and she petitions Jesus to do something and she commands the servants to do what ever Jesus says. As weddings go back then they were going to need quite a bit of wine so Jesus has the servants take six jugs, about 25 gallons each, to the well and fill them with water. By the time the jugs made it to the head waiter the water had turned to wine. According to head waiter it was the very best wine.

Now let's look at the situation where Jesus clears the temple Jerusalem. Apparently there were some people selling sacrificial animals and turning a profit from it. Jesus being a real man's man put together a whip and cleaned house. "Take these things away and stop making My Father's house a place of business," is what Jesus said. Seems to me they took a good thing and took it just a little too far.

I think Jesus is showing me through these two instances that he wants the best for me. He wants to give me the best and he wants me to be able to receive the best by "cleaning my temple." I'll admit there are some things in my life that I need to clean up in order to receive "all" the blessings God has in store for me.

The thing that wowed me in this chapter is the extreme faith the servants showed at Cana. Think about it; some guy says take these jugs and fill them with water. The logistics in itself is cool because each jug held around 25 gallons and all in all would weigh around 200 pounds when said and done. So, they take the jugs to the well, fill them,and tote them back. They didn't know the water would turn to wine. Then to be bold enough to give some to the head waiter to sample is something. They didn't taste it first. They just gave him an untested sample. They risked personal punishment by giving him something untested. What if it was just water or nasty wine? It wouldn't have been good for them.

So, what about you? Do you want the best God has to give you? Are there some things in your temple prohibiting you from receiving just that. I know I have some work to do. Until then, God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment