Saturday, February 19, 2011

Day Nine - John Chapter Nine

    One of the questions I'm supposed to answer as part of the 21 Day Challenge is what does the chapter tell about Jesus. Through out this gospel you read about Jesus having compassion for this person or that situation and He takes action. His actions are met with ridicule and disdain from the religious leaders and the Jewish establishment. The miracle performed in chapter nine of John's gospel follows the pattern set so far. Jesus continues to be compassionate towards the hurting and heals without being asked and this time it's to prove a point.

    When you read the story of the blind man in chapter nine you come away feeling both amazement and sorrow. Jesus is walking along and comes across a blind man. The man has been blind all his life and was not looking (pardon the pun) for a miracle. Yet to prove a point, Jesus spits on the ground, makes some clay and puts it on the man's eyes. He instructs the man to go wash in the Pool of Siloam. I'm not sure on the significance of the pool but the man does what he's told to do and he comes back "seeing." The amazing thing isn't just the miracle, but the faith the man showed, as well as the reaction the Pharisees demonstrated. The amazement turns to sorrow when you see the circus the religious leaders put this guy and his family through after he's healed. I tried to find a word that described the comical disbelief but my vocabulary is not that extensive. When you read the encounter you'll see what I mean.

    So what am I to believe and what am I to take away, or do with this story? I think it's a question of faith. Am I counting on God's provision in my life or am I just sitting like the blind man not looking for a miracle (or God.) I can look at times in my life when it's been all Pilot Vernon and no God and it's usually during those times life is real hectic and not a whole lot of fun. I'm not in one of those seasons now but this story is a nice reminder that Jesus in there for me even if I'm not looking for him.

      "Wow" probably isn't the word I would use to describe the reaction the Pharisees showed toward the miracle. I would use the word "Really". I mean you're "really" going to question the man's blindness. You're "really" going to call the man's parents into account? You're "really" going to call out Jesus for performing another miracle on the Sabbath? Then you're "really" going to throw the man out of the synagogue for believing Jesus healed him and gave him sight? I guess "wow" and "really" kind of go hand in hand on this one. I hope you enjoyed my take on John Chapter Nine. Until next time God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment