Thursday, January 21, 2010

Lukewarm

I just finished the fourth chapter of Crazy Love by Francis Chan titled, "Profile of the Lukewarm." In this chapter Chan makes a statement and I have taken the liberty of rewording into a question addressed to the follower of Christ. If you suddenly stopped believing in God would your lifestyle look any different? After reading Chan's description of the "lukewarm" backed by several scripture verses I feel somewhat convicted.

Before I came to know Jesus I wasn't a very nice person. Although not a criminal I would consider myself back then to be socially unacceptable. I was a foul mouthed bully who drank too much. I was abusive and cheated in marriage. I hurt several people emotionally and they will never know how sorry I am. My world changed in the Fall of 1987; I met Jesus in a real way. Professing Jesus as my Lord and Savior, my life began to change. Was it an overnight transformation we read or hear about? No. Yet, over time He has "pruned" and "molded" me into what I am today. There's a verse in the Bible, "For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus."(Philippians 1:6) I have to rest on this verse to know I am still a work in progress.

2 Corinthians 13:5 says, "Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you-unless indeed you fail the test?" I think this where I am right now. There are aspects with my life that fall short of the test. Am I a sold out Believer? No. Do I want to be? Yes. Do I want to sacrifice the things to achieve that? I'm not so sure. I equate this to my physical body. Back in the day (we all say that) I used to be a little on the buff side, but time and age have left me somewhat soft. I would like to look that way again someday but knowing the hard work it took to achieve that body leaves me a little unwilling to put in the effort. The diet, the exercise, all leaves me apprehensive. I don't want my spiritual walk to be that way. I know God's love for me is endless and very real and the only way I reipicate is through my lifestyle.

So take a spiritual inventory of your life. Don't compare your self to anyone else. Hold your life up to the light of God's Word. It's my prayer you are a little better off than I am but just remember you haven't arrived until He comes to get you.

God Bless,
Vernon

No comments:

Post a Comment