Monday, January 18, 2010

A Father's Love

If your a father would you agree there's nothing greater than the love you share for your children? I never realized how much my parents, especially my dad, loved me until I became a father myself. When I think about my boys my heart wells up and I push back tears while typing these words. Words can not express the true feelings in my soul.

I was extremely lucky growing up with parents who loved me and weren't afraid to show me as much. My dad was in the Navy and thus spent a good part of time away from home but there was never any doubt. He loved me. Our time together was not as long or as often as either of us would have liked but he made it the best he could. I find the relationship with my boys in the same state. As a merchant marine, away from home some 240 days a year, I often times struggle making the time a high quality one. My boys are grown and I find myself relying on words more so than actions. Luckily I'm pretty sure they know my heart and we have a fluid relationship.

As strong as my father's love for me, and the stronger love I have for my boys, it doesn't compare to the love God has for both you and I. This is the subject of the third chapter of Crazy Love by Fancis Chan. Chan shares his personal relationship and experiences with his father and how it kept him from developing a healthy relationship with our Heavenly Father. He said, "I had no aspiration of being wanted by God; I was just happy not to be hated or hurt by him." I wonder how many of us have that same feeling. I don't share Chan's feelings but my hang up is how often I disappoint Him. All He asks of us is "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." (Matthew 22:37-38) How hard is that really? Apparently it's pretty hard for me. I struggle praying like I should. I struggle letting other things occupy my mind. I know when I fall short it saddens God and the blessing He has intended for me can't flow my way. The challenge for me is to get my brain wrapped around the fact there's nothing I can do to disqualify God's love for me. When I get to that point I'm sure my life will reflect His love for me. Hopefully your already there.

Take care and God bless.
Vernon

No comments:

Post a Comment