Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Where Do Dreams Go?

Where do our dreams and desires go? You know, when we are just kids we have dreams of being pro athletes, doctors, ballerinas, or even the President. I was just like that...except the ballerina part.

I can remember like it was yesterday some 40 years ago. A 5 year-old kid when my dad brought home my first football uniform. It was the New York Jets - green, helmet, shoulder pads, the whole schpeel. He would throw the ball to me. I would dive, run, jump, tackle, and get tackled. I would even throw it to myself and tackle myself. Don't laugh you did the same thing. I was going to NFL.

Dreams changed and so did sports. I spent some years growing up in Hawaii and there was no pee-wee football there. There was baseball and surfing. Hit a few dingers in little league and catch a couple big waves and all of the sudden the Major League was the dream. Seemed to be the routine growing up; get really good at something and never take it to the next level. Call it lack of opportunity or just circumstance, who knows. God knows.

The Bible is clear when it comes to what God knows. He knows everything and He knows the desires of our heart. However, those desires will not come to pass unless we do our share. As I look back at my adult years I really haven't done my share. That's probably why I lived for years with out any big dreams. It's been put one foot in front of the other, try to make a living, provide the best way I can for my family. Regardless or the endeavor I have undergone, I have done the best job I could do...almost to a fault.

Until recently the action words in the Psalm quoted above have not been 100% valid in my life. Oh sure, as a believer, I "trust" the Lord, and I have "committed" to his ways but there's always been a little me that has remained in control. Recently I watched a worship service online (have to that on the barge) from Andy Stanley's North Point Church. It revolved around work and what we do and why. But there was a quote, "The way to dream big is to get out of the way and let God dream for you." That's what I've done. For the first time in a very long time I have a dream. It's a dream God placed in me and if will trust, delight, and commit "He will do it."

God Bless,

Vernon

No comments:

Post a Comment